Finding the Cathedral
- When Andrei and Derp finally find the “Whiskey Temple” Cathedral late in the night they encounter a mad, feverish gnome who gibbers at them in nonsense but guides them forward.
- Inside the Temple they are led to a door and a cranky gnome who tells them the tours do not begin until the morning. There are cots outside for tourists and they decide to rest.
- Before resting Andrei begs for and buys a bottle of something strange and ancient. Andrei chugs the bottle and finds the ability to shout a wave of force from his breath. He dreams of dragons and tall bearded men that night.
- The rest of the party awakes and wonders where Derp and Andrei have gone but Andrei wisely sent a skeleton with a message which guides them to the temple.
- Finding the gift shop and asking for a tour they find there are different versions and Derp unwittingly buys everyone the “Deluxe” tour aside from Marquis who abstains.
- The gift shop gnome recognizes Rikki’s fish-like condition and recommends a cure disease potion which he sells Sophie at a “special price.” The potion cures her fishiness but also casts Enlarge Person on her.
- An old gnarled gnome named Farkas leads the party on the tour describing all of the mad brews which they concoct here, approximately 28% of which actually make sense.
- Drinking all the while and noticing other inebriated gnomes there are rumors of cloning and captured demons and gods here and hints that the temple travels through different planes and times. Eventually Andrei spots a part of the tour that is marked off limits as well as the desiccated corpse of another tour guide identical to Farkas.
- At this point Andrei creates chaos by raising the other, deader, tour guide, because booze, and leads the party down a dark tunnel to a part of the “Super Deluxe Tour” that has not been seen in eons.
- Another gnome, covered in dust, seemingly the twin of Farkas offers them the ultimate whiskey of the ages, The Maker’s Mark.
- As each person lifts a glowing glass to their lips the whiskey finds its way inside them whether they are willing or not and all goes black.
Sophie sees from the eyes of a small child, held in the arms of a younger Merrix d’Cannith as he surveys an underground factory which churns out Warforged after Warforged.
Derp is younger, wandering an alleyway, confused, alone and hungry. He finds a hat, nibbles on it, and then places it on his head when he is startled by a screeching cat. Looking down he sees a dead gentleman and a pouch of gold and understands how he can benefit.
Rikki is young and bruised. She wears ragged clothes and is afraid. The university rears up before her and an old man takes her hand, leading her inside.
Forte walks with four other Warforged, slogging through a rough land. Cresting a ridge they see the towers of Cyre on the horizon before a mushroom cloud appears and a massive shock wave hits them, casting them back.
Andrei arrives at a gala, resplendent and with many handshakes. Something happens which shows him it is the night he fell from grace.
- The world swirls and there are more visions.
Sophie looks up from the floor of the factory as she polishes the head of a yet to be activated Warforged. On a balcony stands her father in a military uniform. Soldiers rush in, the lights flicker and she sees them brutally kill her father.
Derp is in a deep pit surrounded on all sides by shouting people, being forced to fight exotic beasts, one after the other, and as a great gorilla is dragged out, its spine broken, what looks like a velociraptor is let into the cage as people stand and shout, waving money in the air.
Rikki is in a jail cell, deep beneath the city. Looking through the bars she can see that all of the cells are filled with Shifters and the sorrow filled sounds of many animals fill the hall. A fat, balding human guard walks to the barred door and looks inside, saying “Guess it’s time to do this one now,” and chuckling. She is dragged screaming from the room.
Forte stands by the bed of Sophie who is older and wears many scars. He has lost an arm and much of his body is scorched and broken. She has a bandage around her torso and she is dying. He holds her hand as she breathes her last.
Andrei looks up through rheumatic eyes at a dark sky and feels broken pieces of glass in his back. He is in a gutter and as he feels in his pockets he finds nothing but scraps of paper. There is a pain in his chest and he realizes he’s covered in urine as he dies, alone in the night.
- There is a blinding light and a last round of visions.
Sophie stands in that same factory, looking out on machines that have been converted to the manufacture of weapons. Machine guns turn out in the thousands from the machines and she wears a military uniform.
Derp stuffs his face at a long buffet line, an honor banquet for heroes and kings.
Rikki holds a newborn child in her hands, half shifter, half human as she looks up into the eyes of Professor Moranis.
Forte finds himself in full military kit, motioning forward a group of warforged like none he’s ever seen as artillery bursts around them. Guns chatter in the distance. He wears the stars of a general.
Andrei stands in regal attire before an army of zombies as the mayor places her hand on his shoulder, nodding with a smile and asking, “Are you ready? They’re waiting.”
- The world coalesces around them and they are on a ship. An airship. And they are wearing uniforms fringed with red and gold and labels with a strange insignia of a tower encircled by a cog. They each carry identities which are not their own.
- The airship is gigantic, like a massive sailing ship but with complex latice wings. It pulses with energy and power and barely visible strips of red energy can be seen curling toward other much smaller flying ships. Like fighter planes they surround the larger ship and below them they see armies of soldiers interspersed with phalanxes of Warforged, each one crackling with magic. Flights of demonic zombies move within them.
- The party is startled and awakened in the courtyard of the cathedral. Marquis is there and he has t-shirts from the gift shop. Each one says “I went to the Whiskey Temple and all I got was hammered.”
- The party are wracked with madness and sickness and are put to bed begrudgingly by the confused Marquis.